Dear Southern California Yacht Clubs
Dockwalkers are trained to engage members of the public and the boating community to adopt clean boating practices. Dockwalkers share clean boating information with boaters and distribute educational materials 2020 Boater Kits
Yacht clubs believe that education is critical to successfully operating a clean boating facility and minimizing water quality impacts. Becoming a Dockwalker or having club members and club staff trained as Dockwalkers will provide you with:
· the educational materials and tools to work with your tenants and visitors as partners in the clean marina/yacht club, clean water effort.
· participation in the DOCKWALKER PROGRAM counts towards the nomination of the Club of the Year under the community service category.
You can use this program as follows:
· Use the CA Boater kits as “welcome” packet/kit for your new members (include your club rules).
· Create an incentive program for your current members. Remind your members their commitment to be part of your clean club effort! Ex: Member Recognition Day or month! (Announce your efforts via your website, boards, billing insert, and newsletters).
· Meet and greet members and provide them with educational information and Boater Kits.
· Conduct a seminar, participate during the facility events (Ex: Regattas, Cruises, Opening Days).
2020 Southern CA Training:
Friday, May 8 – Oxnard
(1:00 pm to 3:45 pm)
US Coast Guard Recruiting Center Channel Island Harbor. 4202 S. Victoria Oxnard, CA 93035
Dockwalkers are trained to engage members of the public and the boating community to adopt clean boating practices. Dockwalkers share clean boating information with boaters and distribute educational materials (boater kits), while visiting marinas, launch ramps, marine supply stores, boat shows and special events (i.e. regattas, opening days, among others). As you realize, “Dockwalker” is only a generic term because you do not necessarily have to “walk the docks” in order to talk to boaters about safety and clean boating practices. Remember safety and the environment go hand in hand.
Training is FREE and Dockwalking is a fantastic way to interact with boaters to help keep California’s marinas, waterways, and ocean clean and healthy. The training provides an overview of environmentally-sound boating practices, information about how to conduct Dockwalking, and educational materials that Dockwalkers will distribute including the California 2020 Boater Kits
In the 2020 Boater Kit, you will find:
· Oil absorbent sheet. This sheet serves as the kit content holder in addition to an absorbent, we hope you appreciate this practical, trash-free, creative approach!
· Oil absorbent pillow
· Fuel bib
· Environmental Boating Laws Every Recreational Boater Should Know
· ABC’s of CA Boating
· When Nature Calls
· Tide book
· 2020 West Marine discount coupon
· Delta and/or San Francisco Bay Area Clean Boating Map or Southern California Boater’s Guide order forms (depending on your region)
· 2020 Questionnaire/Pledge
In the spirit of pollution prevention, all the materials included in the kits are made from low- or non-toxic materials and printed on recycled paper with soy-based inks.
Please join us at one of our trainings. To register simply email Vivian Matuk at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full contact information as shown in the attached flier.
Environmental Boating Program Manager
California State Parks
California Coastal Commission